July is ‘Plastic Free July’ and I’m going to take on the challenge of going plastic free, or maybe it’s better to say I will test drive living without single use plastic. It is going to be a challenging month (and I am trying to get people to do it with me to make it easier!)
About the challenge
Plastic Free July is a fun challenge that gets us thinking about the amount of plastic packaging in our lives. The challenge is to pick which single use plastic items you want to try and live without for a while, either a day, a week or the whole month.
This is meant to help increase awareness of how much plastic we use. Even if you don’t manage to live without single use plastic entirely, anything from the list you can reduce will make a difference. And who knows, maybe you will find an amazing alternative to some plastic items that you would be happy to keep in your life, and what a difference would that make!
One of my pledges was that I will steer away from plastic containers in fruit and veg, so I’ll be shopping for them in the greengrocer’s and my local farmshop. The difference is very visible to me, about 65% reduced plastic and I am going to get better!
Hopefully some of you might be interested in taking part and will find items that they can easily stop using from the list attached! You can find more info and also ideas for plastic free living on the website here: http://www.plasticfreejuly.org/
Would anyone else here be interested in taking on “Plastic Free July”? It can be for a day, a week or the whole month and you can choose the amount of effort you’re willing to extend. Even deciding to avoid using plastic straws for a month would make a big difference! Please do include photos of your shopping for inspiration to others in the comments below! #ChooseToRefuse
1- Australians use around 100kg of plastic packing per household each year.
2 – Those plastics:
- Break up, not break down
- Are mostly down-cycled
- End up in landfill or
- ‘Escape’ and pollute the ocean.
3 – You’ll be joining a million+ people world-wide in making a difference.
Take the Challenge
Choose to Avoid, Refuse or Replace as much single-use plastic as you can during July.
Yes, I accept the challenge!
1 – Sign up for the challenge:
2 – Choose what you will do:
- Avoid single-use plastic packaging; or
- Target the takeaway items that could end up in the ocean; or
- Go completely plastic free
- Choose the length of your challenge: 1 day – 1 week – 1 month
3 – Get connected
- Post your success on social media and tag @PlasticFreeJuly
- Promote Plastic Free July in your community, shops or workplace
4 – Contribute to the count
- Keep a tally of your choose to refuse moments and add them to our survey count in August
Or download the list in pdf!
- Bring the Mindful Pause (Pause Practice) into your Life - May 11, 2020
- Learn the Ujjayi Breath - February 17, 2019
- The Story of the Buddha & the Discovery of Mindfulness - November 18, 2018